Nothing says warm weather like a tablescape of fish tacos, the culinary equivalent of everything’s-gonna-be-okay. Below is the easy, no-frills, and super-healthy recipe our founder’s wife swears by. This recipe works well with halibut or cod.
2-3 cod loins OR 2-3 halibut steaks and/or fillets, thawed and moisture extracted well with paper towels
Unsweetened coconut flakes
Coconut Flour (regular flour, quinoa, almond, or amaranth flour also work)
2 eggs, beaten
Tortillas of your choice (corn, flour, cassava, almond, etc.)
1 small avocado, chopped
Handful arugula (or cabbage slaw, or any other green you like for freshness)
Juice of half a lemon
Ghee for light frying (or butter, or any other frying oil of choice)
Cilantro for garnish
Salt and pepper
- Cut the cod into 2-3 inch pieces and place in beaten egg.
- Cover a large plate with coconut flour and coconut flakes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer cod chunks onto plate and coat all pieces evenly with flakes/flour mixture.
- Heat a pan/skillet on medium-high. Add ghee. When you start seeing little bubbles add the cod pieces and fry lightly for just a few minutes on each side. You should be able to easily see when one side is done, as the pieces start to turn lightly golden.
- Warm tortillas in microwave or stovetop for a few seconds and transfer to serving plate.
- Assemble tacos by placing fried cod, arugula, avocado, squeeze of lemon and cilantro for garnish.